The Society always encourages and supports all kinds of cooperative research works for birds. Members have actively participated in international and domestic bird researche focusing on breeding biology, ecology, and conservation of birds. Many members of the Society work at the National University of Mongolia as a professor, lecturer, and under, postgraduate students. These organizations cooperate on educating, training and conducting bird studies for the new generation of Mongolian ornithologists.
The following International research projects and field works were conducted by members of the society in Mongolia with foreign research institutes, organizations and ornithologists for the last few years.
Research projects run by the Society
2008-2012. Regional Redlist of Birds, in Mongolia supported by Netherland Government (NEMO-2), World Bank, Ministry of Nature, Environment and Tourism, Mongolia.
2009-2010. The status and distribution of Pallas’s Fish Eagle in Mongolia funded by and collaborated with The Peregrine Fund, WSC. PDF
2009-2011. Avian influenza and bird migration in Mongolia” funded by OIE, Japan.
2008-2010. Taxonomy and bar-coding of birds, supported by Oslo University, Norway.
2008-2009. Migration studies of Geese in Mongolia funded by Japanese Government.
A risk assessment of high power electric line in Mongolia funded by the Asia Research Centre, Korean Foundation for Advanced Studies, South Korea. PDF.
2008-2009. The assessment of high-risk utility lines and conservation of the globally threatened pole-nesting steppe raptors in Mongolia funded by the Oriental Bird Club, UK.
2007-2008. Taxonomy, biology, and ecology of Upland Buzzard Buteo hemilasius in Mongolia funded by the Asian Research Centre, Korean Foundation for Advanced Studies, South Korea. PDF
2007-2008. The Mongolian wild ass conservation in southern Mongolia: Conservation actions, involvement, and education of local people with Anne-Camille SOURIS funded by National Museum of Natural History of Paris, France, and National Geographic Society, USA. PDF.
2007-2008. Mitigating raptor electrocutions in Mongolia funded by IBRC, Eilat, Israel, Lynette International Foundation, UK and EDM International, Inc USA. PDF.
- The importance of North East Mongolia for Pacific Golden Plovers (2005) funded by Foundation Working Group International Waterbird & Wetland Research (WIWO). PDF
2004-2006. Satellite tracking of Black stork Ciconia nigra in Mongolia with National Radio of Czech funded by Ministry of Nature and Environment of Czech and Union of Czech and Slovak zoological gardens. Link…
2004-2005. Wintering waterfowl census in Tuul rivers and its valley funded by Khustai National Park, Mongolia. PDF (in Mongolian).
- Important Bird Areas (IBA) Survey in Eastern Mongolia together with RSPB researchers funded by the WCS and RSPB.
2003-2005. Relationships of the Raptors and Brandt’s Vole in Mongolian Steppe Ecosystems funded by GEF/UNDP.
- Taxonomy of Meadow Bunting Emberiza cioides in Mongolia with the Bird Banding Centre of the Yamashina Institute for Ornithology.
- Satellite tracking of White-naped crane Grus vipio in Eastern Mongolia collaborating Bird Banding Centre of the Yamashina Institute for Ornithology funded by the institution.
- Ecosystems of Bogdkhaan mountain, Mongolia funded by Mongolian government.
2000-2001. Saxaul Sparrow in Mongolian Gobi collaborating with Dr.Kate Oddie, funded by Darwin Initiative and Zoological Society, UK. PDF.
1999-2001. Globally Threatened White-naped crane Grus vipio in Mongolia: Habitat use and livestock grazing with Institute of Avian Research ‘Vogelwarte Helgoland”. Funded by the Birdlife International, Biodiversity project, Stifferverband fund, Germany, and Stiftung Wurth, Germany. PDF.
1998-2007. Saker falcon in Mongolia: Research and Conservation” with Environmental Research and Wildlife Development Agency, UAE.
- Mongolian-German Joint Biodiversity Research in Eastern Mongolia with researchers from Germany.
- Russian-Mongolian Joint Crane Conservation Project in Mongolia with Daurian Strictly Protected Area of Russia.